Crystals & Healing
Intro to Crystals
I've heard that crystals are the offspring of Heaven and Earth's marriage, I believe they are a gift from God, they amplify the "light" and love around us. Crystals can help you "heal" every area of your life. There are crystals/stones that can help with your physical, emotional, spiritual, and financial health; and they can support your romantic life, help you get a better sleep, amplify your healing power, reduce stress, and assist you in feeling happier and peaceful. Crystals are powerful healing tools, and you can use them to boost your natural spiritual healing power, for personal use or no matter what type of healing work you're involved in crystals can help. They may be used alone or in combination with healing modalities such as Reiki, healing touch, meditation. You don't have to "work" with crystals or be a "healer" to experience this, they can simply be placed around your home, office or any space you choose to lift and cleanse the energy of the room.
The term crystal therapy refers to working with crystals' live energy & voice, in conjunction with the Divine. Anyone and everyone can work with crystals, they can do no harm only good. Crystals are not "New Age" they are as old as our 4.6 billion year old planet and have been used around the world for centuries for healing and rituals. Although they may seem like inert objects, crystals radiate with "life". They are filled with energy and are conduits of energy. That is why crystals such as quartz & diamonds are also used in many other ways for example in watches, radios, water softeners, purifiers, and modern medical devices. Crystals amplify their own energy, that is why when used with the Divine Universal energy which is known in many ways including Chi, spirit, prana, qi, Light & Love, and Reiki, they can be very helpful.
When working with crystals the most important thing is to keep an open heart and mind. Although there are certain uses for certain crystals follow your intuition when working or selecting them, sometimes crystals pick you and will work for you. Crystals are wonderful to work with and you don't have to be an expert to experience this. Below I have posted different methods of cleaning, clearing, working, and programing crystals, there is no right or wrong way, again follow your intuition and do what feels right for you.
How to Guide:
Cleaning your Stones:
Purpose is to clean, to remove dirt , debris or other substances from the crystal this is not the same as clearing. Some methods will do both at the same time, but it works best to think of them as two separate tasks until you're used to doing both. That way you can be sure to take care of both parts.
To clean a crystal or stone, the main thing to consider is the type of stone you’re cleaning. For the most part, water* is the best thing to clean stones or crystals of any kind with. A mild soap can be used sometimes, as can specialized cleaning solutions. Specialized cleaning solutions vary widely, and should be used only according to their instructions. I recommend using the mildest possible method of cleaning your crystals and stones, as this is least disruptive of their looks and energies.
Soft stones (those with a mohs hardness of 4 or less), may be very porous and may absorb a lot of chemicals or detergents when you are cleaning them. These stones definitely should not be cleaned with anything harsher than just plain water for very brief periods. You can look up the mohs hardness of your stone, these sites are reputable sources MinDat.org or UC Berkeley.
***Do Not Place the following in Chemical Cleaners:
(This is a partial list! If in doubt, don’t put it in any chemicals!)
Amber, Aquamarine, Coral, Emerald, Jade, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Opal, Pearls, Shell, Turquoise
*Some stones such as Halite, which is a salt, will dissolve in water, so they should only be dusted lightly with a feather duster or something like that.
Quartz crystal and harder stones can be cleaned with other heavier detergents or cleaners if needed. Beware as harsh cleaners can damage the finish on polished stones or abrade the surfaces, and are considered by some to change the energy of the stones.
Clearing Your Stones:
The purpose of clearing is to remove negative or unwanted energies, since most crystals wether in jewelry or on their own absorb these over time. Crystals and stones that are used for healing should be cleared and cleansed of negative energy often, before & after healing work. You will find that doing so makes them "light" and more positive to have around.
Here are a number of methods that are commonly used to clear crystals to restore their clean, bright, happy, vibrant energy. Some methods take longer or are more complex, others are extremely simple and quick. Use whichever suits you and your crystals best. The exact length of time needed for clearing varies according to personal taste and the state of the crystal. Trust your intuition and higher self to lead you to the best methods and lengths of time for you and the stone. Whichever method you choose, make sure you focus on using the intention of clearing negative and unwanted energies from the crystal.
- Salt Water: When using this method do so cautiously and don't leave your crystals in it longer than absolutely necessary.While this is a popular way to clear crystals, I recommend using salt water very carefully. You need to know about your crystals before to ensure that they are not porous or soft, so they won't be damaged. Salt water can get into the structure of some crystals and stones and cause them to break. That breakage sometimes doesn't happen immediately, but the weakened structure may break later. Some stones that don't do well in salt water are calcite, carnelian, halite, hematite, labradorite/spectrolite, lepidolite, lodestone (magnetite), mica, moldavite, opal, turquoise, ulexite, clusters of most stones, and there are surely more.
- Sea Salt: Crystals can be placed in dry, coarse sea salt for up to 24 hours to clear them. They can also be stored in sea salt to keep them from picking up energies from their surroundings. Use caution in humid areas, as this can sometimes cause the same problems as salt water. salt can get stuck in the crevices of clusters and eventually combine with water in the air and split the cluster.
- Sunlight or Moonlight: The rays of the sun and moon are energetically very clearing and cleansing, as well as energizing. Placing your stones outside where they can soak up the sunlight/moonlight for a day or night upto a week is very beneficial. Be careful, as some the colors of some stones may fade in the sun. If you have any doubts at all, be sure to use only moonlight for cleansing. A few of the stones that will fade in the sun are amethyst, celestite, opal, and turquoise.
- Tap Water: For a quick clearing, you can also run your stones under COOL tap water. Don't use hot, very cold, or warm water because it can fracture some crystals and stones. Visualize the running water as a white or gold ray of light with the intention of clearing your stone. Again, be sure that your crystals are not porous or soft, before putting them under the tap. Crystal clusters and geodes are two types of stones that do not do as well with water, as they may break apart and crumble. Porous stone and those mentioned that do not do well with salt water may also not do well with tap water.
- Smudging: Smudging is one of my favorite methods for clearing crystals and stones. It's also a much quicker way to clear crystals. To smudge them, pass your stone several times through the smoke of burning cedar, sage, sweet-grass, palo santo you can clear several crystals at once using a screen or a sifter. It is best to use an herb like sage or a more basic incense like Nag Champa or Frankincense. As the commercial incense may not clear as fully or as quickly.
- Reiki: Another of my favorite methods as a Reiki practitioner, just treat the stone as you would any other being that needs healing, and set your intent to heal the stone of any negativity or unwanted energies. Reiki clearing in a sense, is channeling the universal life force energy to heal the crystal of negativity and unwanted energies.
- Stone Clearing: Some stones that work well for this are quartz crystal clusters, amethyst clusters, geodes, carnelian, and selenite. Place the stone to be cleared on or inside the "clearing" stone, and leave for 24-48 hours.
- Flower Water: Soak the stone or crystal in water with the petals of rose, honey suckle, orange blossoms, jasmine, lavender or others for 24 hours. Again, the same cautions apply regarding stones that don't do well in water.
- Sound: Using a melodic gong, Tibetan prayer bells or singing bowl, a bell, chanting OM or other mantras. Hold the crystal and sound the gong or whichever you chose next to it, passing the crystal through the sound waves to clear it.
- Earth Burial: As creepy as it may sound, burying crystals and stones is very cleansing and healing to them. You can bury them in the Earth for 3 days to a week, either in your yard or in a flower pot. This also energizes the crystal with earths grounding energy.
Another simple, but very powerful & effective method is Prayer or Asking the Divine Simply ask (God/Goddess/Universe/etc.) to clear & energetically cleanse your crystal for you. You can also simply ask the crystal to clear itself. Form your request with specific intent and ask in a meditative or prayerful frame of mind. Something like "O Great Divine, please clear all unwanted energies from this crystal for the best and highest good of all concerned. Thank you. Amen." would be a good specific request. The details should be changed to fit your own beliefs and needs. There are other ways that can be used to clear crystals, try different ones and do what feels right for you.
After you choose and clear your gemstone or crystal, it is a good idea to program or dedicate it, but not necessary. The purpose of programming a crystal or gemstone is to focus its abilities on something you specifically need, thereby magnifying the stone's intent through your own. Metaphysically speaking this means to store an energy pattern into the crystal. The pattern can be an intention, thought, color, emotion, sound, thought or any other desired vibration. The purpose of dedicating the stone to a high level healing energy or God, higher power is to protect it from negative energy. A crystal or stone that is programmed and dedicated in these ways becomes much more powerful and useful as a tool. This is a very simple process.
To begin you need the Crystal you wish to program, make surer you have a clear Intent - Be clear on what you want to program the crystal to do. This method is one focused action.
Step One - Clear your crystal with whatever method you prefer, and sit down with your crystal at your personal altar or in a place that you're not likely to be disturbed while you are programming your crystal.
Step Two - Hold the crystal in your dominant hand (right hand if right handed) and clear your mind of unrelated thoughts. Sense the energy As you sense this energy and appreciate it, ask quietly to be connected to the deva of the crystal or gemstone. Though not animate, stones are living things and the deva of the piece is the stone's life-force energy.
Step Three - Once you feel you have sensed what you can from the energy, think of what you will be using the stone for. Think of these uses, then quietly ask the gemstone if it is willing to act in the way you wish. The crystals energy may increase with a yes or seem to disappear with a no. If the stone accepts your intent, state in your mind that it be so. Focus on your intention for your crystal by saying descriptive words aloud. For instance, if you want to program your crystal to bring peace of mind, start repeating the words "peace of mind" or for protection "protection" over and over again. A whisper is fine if a normal tone of voice would attract distracting attention from others.
Step Four - Repeat your intent verbally into your non-dominant hand, then place that hand over your crystal to push the vibrations into the crystal. You can use visualization as well.
Step Five - Continue holding the crystal and repeating your intention until it feels as though the vibrations have sunk into the crystal fully. If necessary, repeat step four.
Once your intuition tells you or you have a sense that the crystal has accepted the vibrations, open your hands and thank the crystal. The crystal is now programmed. This method can be used with tumbled stones, spheres, polished crystals, and natural chunks of minerals, as well as natural crystals.
Dedicating Your Gemstone:
Once a stone is programmed, it will hold its intent until you or someone else reprograms it. To prevent any negative energy from attaching itself to your crystal you may wish to dedicate it.
To dedicate hold the crystal or gemstone in your hand and state clearly in your mind: "Only the most positive high-level energy may work through this healing tool."
Focus on your intent for awhile, then end your sensing (meditation) with "SO BE IT." The stone is now dedicated. You can dedicate all your crystals without programming them.
You may also choose to dedicate your gemstone or crystal to a specific healing energy, for example, to a Goddess of healing. There are many healing goddesses, including Isis, Yemaya, Diana, and White Buffalo Calf Woman. For stones programmed for protection, Hecate or Kali are strong protection Goddesses.
To retrieve and use the crystal's program, hold and rub the crystal while asking (silently or out loud) for its programming to be released and those energies come out.
To erase the crystal's program, simply clear the crystal with intent to remove the programming. Crystals can be cleared and re-programmed, you cam have more than one crystal with the same intent.